It was not a sunny day. It had been raining on Wednesday,
Thursday and Friday and on Saturday Morning it was foggy or
maybe I was in one of the clouds.
The plan was to get up to nine transmitters spread around
between R3 (Sage road), on the west, 74 on the North
and East and 371 on the south. All this is between Hemet and
Anza in the San Bernardino Forest.
I used the GPS routing to get to T-1 hide spot but the road
passed through part of the Indian reservation and it was
gated. Phooey. Plan B was to hide. On Bautista Canyon Road .
My profile map showed that I had a clear shot from the 3000
ft elevation to Mt Baldy some 60 miles away. I was still
deep enough in the canyon to be hard to hear to the east
(Palm Springs) or the west (the start). I found the spot and
set up 11 elements horizontal pointed at Baldy and running
50 watts. This was T-1 iding T11.
On Wednesday I had come down with the current form of the
flu. I had my flu shots and it was only a mild case and all
was coming out OK until Thursday when things got better and
by Friday I was sure I could hide on Saturday. Well, I was
wrong I spent most of Friday night 10 minutes on and
50 minutes off but my morning it calmed down and at 7 AM I
set off. I had T-1 on at 9:45 and actually had T-2 running
at 10:10. I was not doing well so I scurried home to my cozy
When I got to Hemet I called GQ and yes they got a 45 degree
bearing at the start and were heading south.
I drove home over Lambs canyon to I-10 and I heard T-2 into
Hemet and T-1 up the hill and lost it down the other side.
This is what should happen so I didn’t think much about it.
I got to San Bernardino and so signal, I started worrying.
I went on home. Took care of business and called Scott on
the phone. He was up the 15 and should have heard T-1 but
didn’t. Others had gone to Cajon summit and heard nothing (
they shouldn’t) but should have heard something south before
getting there. Deryl had gone east on I-10 to Banning
and I told Scott to call him (I had lost his number0 to tell
him to stop going east and go south. Anyway it was clear
that the transmitter was not working. I asked Scott to
volunteer to go fix it as I was now in bed. He did and check
with him for the rest of that story.
Scott got T-1 working and a number of teams found it in late
T1 was at N33 37.0862 W116 45.7219
T2 was not found so I will keep it’s location for a while
T2A (Scott, N6MI) was at N33 37.4578 W116 46.4398
There were 6 teams, 5 offical and one walkin
N6MI & KJ6SSY
0 miles 1.0 Thank
you thank you
KF6GQ & K6DJI
N6AIN & N6EKS